Polynesian Tattoo Photos that are truly breathtaking. See the best artists, placements, and symbolic meanings behind Polynesian tattoo art. Did you know that Polynesian Tattoos are the beginning of it all? That’s right, your Polynesian tattoo may be a link to the past. You may not know this but the word tattoo comes from several other words of Polynesian cultures and they all meant the same.
Polynesian tattoos, just as Polynesian culture, are complex and diverse. Polynesia it’s not one place but a whole region that includes hundreds of islands and settlements, making it very culturally rich.
It is also the home for cultures and people with thousands of years of history that gave us the gift of tattoos as they also used them to express themselves, give meaning to them and honor warriors.
The region that makes Polynesia is between New Zealand, Hawaii and the Easter Islands. Over 1000 islands can be found in that area, and all of them share cultural traits that make them Polynesian.
Polynesian tattoos, hence, are a kind of tribal tattoo that shares those traits and commonly resembles art and elements of the region: ocean animals, flowers, patterns.
There are a great number and variations of Polynesian tattoos, they come in all sizes and can please both male and female as well.
This is our list of the most awesome Polynesian tattoos we could find, they may be not all very different from each other since they all belong to the same style, but they sure are amazing.
- 1 POLYNESIAN TATTOO ART
- 1.1 1. Ankle Polynesian Tattoo
- 1.2 2. Side Polynesian Tattoo
- 1.3 3. Polynesian Armband Tattoo
- 1.4 4. A Stingray Polynesian Tattoo
- 1.5 5. Waist Polynesian Tattoo
- 1.6 6. Armband Polynesian Tattoo
- 1.7 7. Behind Ear Polynesian Tattoo
- 1.8 8. Polynesian Octopus Tattoo
- 1.9 9. Another Stingray Polynesian Tattoo
- 1.10 10. Polynesian Waves and Flower Tattoo
- 1.11 11. Nape Polynesian Tattoo
- 1.12 12. Polynesian Whale Tattoo
- 1.13 13. Polynesian Turtles
- 1.14 14. Girl Polynesian Tattoo Sleeve
- 1.15 15. Polynesian Starfish Tattoo
- 1.16 16. Polynesian Mask Tattoo
- 1.17 17. Sea Turtle in the Sea Polynesian Tattoo
- 1.18 18. Polynesian Leg Tattoo
- 1.19 19. Polynesian Pair of Ankle Tattoos
- 1.20 20. Waves and Sea Turtle in Half Back
- 1.21 21. Waves and Flowers on Leg
- 1.22 22. Upper Back Stingray Tattoo
- 1.23 23. Polynesian Half Leg Sleeve Tattoo
- 1.24 24.Chest and Shoulder Polynesian Tattoo
- 1.25 25. Whale Tale Polynesian Tattoo
- 1.26 26. Polynesian Chest Tattoo
- 1.27 27. Purple Flowers and Polynesian Pattern
- 1.28 28. Polynesian Feather Tattoo
- 1.29 29. Simple Polynesian Armband
- 1.30 30. Lower Belly Mask and Details
- 1.31 31. Lily Polynesian Tattoo
- 1.32 32. Polynesian Seahorse Tattoo
- 1.33 33. Tattoo Sleeve with a Polynesian Twist
- 1.34 34. Polynesian Leg Band Tattoo
- 1.35 35. Polynesian Mandalas
- 1.36 36. Full Leg Side Polynesian Tattoo
- 1.37 37. Polynesian Elbow Band Tattoo
- 1.38 38. Stingray and Turtle Polynesian Tattoo
- 1.39 39. Full Side Leg Polynesian Flowers
- 1.40 40. Badass Polynesian Shark Tattoo
POLYNESIAN TATTOO ART
1. Ankle Polynesian Tattoo
Ankle tattoos are very popular among girls, and the Polynesian style gives them a nice flow.
2. Side Polynesian Tattoo
This is fantastic way to show off your tits.
3. Polynesian Armband Tattoo
Armand tattoos look great in Polynesian tattoos get along very well. You can also check out our armband tattoos list.
Limited Time Offer (click photo)
4. A Stingray Polynesian Tattoo
As we previously mentioned, Polynesian tattoos are filled with elements from the sea, and this is a beautiful example that fits perfectly in a shoulder.
5. Waist Polynesian Tattoo
These kind of tribal tattoos can be very sexy. In this design, the contrast between the black and blue and flower placement give it a nice look that enhances the feminine figure.
6. Armband Polynesian Tattoo
Polynesian tattoos also make great armbands. If you like tattoo sleeves, check out our list of the best one you will see.
7. Behind Ear Polynesian Tattoo
Behind the ear is a great spot for people who want to get a tattoo without all the unwanted attention. Due to the shape of the spot, Polynesian tattoos can give you a great option of design and style.
8. Polynesian Octopus Tattoo
Octopus make for incredibly awesome tattoos, and this take on one of the ocean’s most majestic beasts will make you want to get one ASAP.
9. Another Stingray Polynesian Tattoo
This is a smaller take on the stingray tattoo with a Polynesian aesthetic.
10. Polynesian Waves and Flower Tattoo
Sometimes a Polynesian tattoo doesn’t have to be something that can be easily identified, like this example. Those lines can be vines or just something that looks cool.
11. Nape Polynesian Tattoo
I would guess this is a water drop, but the clearly Polynesian aesthetic and placement make it irrelevant, to be honest.
12. Polynesian Whale Tattoo
Whales are arguably the most majestic beast in the ocean, and this Polynesian tattoo makes a great tribute to it.
13. Polynesian Turtles
Sea turtles are also very commonly found in Polynesian tattoos, they symbolize longevity, patience and intelligence.
14. Girl Polynesian Tattoo Sleeve
While the Polynesian patterns make a sleeve tattoo look very masculine, you can add a bit touch of femininity with a few flowers that stick to the style.
15. Polynesian Starfish Tattoo
Well, to be fair this may be a flower but it could also be a pretty and small starfish.
16. Polynesian Mask Tattoo
Masks are also commonly found in Polynesian symbolism. They represent warriors from the different communities that belong to the culture.
17. Sea Turtle in the Sea Polynesian Tattoo
In this example, we can see more clearly that the other elements, besides the turtle, are waves in the water and maybe the tail of a larger fish, dolphin or whale.
18. Polynesian Leg Tattoo
Only an expert in the subject could tell you what each and every one of the parts of a Polynesian tattoo mean, since every curve, pattern and line has its own origin an meaning.
19. Polynesian Pair of Ankle Tattoos
This design that is places in both ankles could mean the importance of one’s origins or the strength to keep your feet on the ground.
20. Waves and Sea Turtle in Half Back
These kind of waves that are thinner, are usually found in women. While male Polynesian tattoos usually have thicker lines and more details.
21. Waves and Flowers on Leg
Let’s just assume that all the waves and lines are made of symbolic water.
22. Upper Back Stingray Tattoo
This has to be my favorite pick on the stingray category. The size and designs fits perfectly on the back of the wearer and the details are mesmerizing.
23. Polynesian Half Leg Sleeve Tattoo
As we can see here, and as we mentioned before, usually Polynesian tattoos are thicker on guys.
24.Chest and Shoulder Polynesian Tattoo
This gorgeous design brings life to the upper part of the wearer, showing a complete sense of belonging to the region and she looks proud of it.
25. Whale Tale Polynesian Tattoo
This design fits perfectly on the ankle and has some details with dots that gives it a nice shadow.
26. Polynesian Chest Tattoo
Blend your male boobs with this great tattoo.
27. Purple Flowers and Polynesian Pattern
The possibilities are limitless with flowers and colors over a otherwise regular Polynesian tattoo.
28. Polynesian Feather Tattoo
Not as regular as other elements in this trend, we stumbled upon this design of a feather with this tribal aesthetics.
29. Simple Polynesian Armband
This design, although Polynesian indeed, kind of looks like a traditional technique.
30. Lower Belly Mask and Details
You don’t need a chastity belt if you have your own Polynesian warrior taking care of you!
31. Lily Polynesian Tattoo
This design has a bit thicker lines but the lily sure puts the feminine style on top.
32. Polynesian Seahorse Tattoo
Seahorses are cute, reliable and even badass. They make great tattoos with this aesthetic.
33. Tattoo Sleeve with a Polynesian Twist
You can clearly see all the elements of this amazing sleeve tattoo.
34. Polynesian Leg Band Tattoo
A more discreet and subtle approach to a Polynesian tattoo on the leg.
35. Polynesian Mandalas
This is an interesting blend between two completely different styles.
36. Full Leg Side Polynesian Tattoo
She was a bold woman who got herself this tattoo.
37. Polynesian Elbow Band Tattoo
Polynesian style is very common among elbow band tattoos and you can see why, it’s a perfect match of design and placement.
38. Stingray and Turtle Polynesian Tattoo
We’ve seen them a couple of times on their own, it’s time to see them together!
39. Full Side Leg Polynesian Flowers
This design, although a little bit more traditional tribal, still has some Polynesian elements.
40. Badass Polynesian Shark Tattoo
This one was the best Polynesian tattoo on the list for guys, IMHO.
These are only a few examples of the amazing possibilities that you have with Polynesian tattoos. Talk to a tattoo artists that has not only experience but a deep knowledge on this trend and ask him about the meanings of the little details.